Friday, March 23, 2012

"Like" The Language of Today?

So, like, that one day when my boyfriend, like, told me that I was his, like, soul mate? I like, totally fell in love…

Hmm… I’m going to have to stop you right there. Is the word “like” really a word that enhances the meaning in a sentence? Or is it used to make a person seem more intelligent than they really are? Here’s a thought: why do some people, when they are having a conversation, end their sentences by raising their voice like it’s a question? I have to ask myself this when I do it in some of my conversations.

People could call this the new generation of teen language. It is a whole different type of communication that goes on in schools, work, and among friends. Sure there are those who try to deny that they have ever said the word “like” at least three or four times in one sentence, but let’s be serious. I don’t think I have come across one teenager who has not done exactly this. And I will admit that I tend to do this too. But why? Why do we feel the need to say “like” after every other word?

Many people will wonder this and I can say that over time, this is how our language has evolved among the teenage population. No matter how unintelligent, irritating, or different it has become from the generations of our parents and grandparents, we should not be embarrassed, (well, at least not wholeheartedly; it does come off as annoying). I guess you could say it is a part of who we are as adolescents. Embrace it for the time being because it could be just a phase that we will be able to grow out of sooner or later.

So, like, can we all agree to this, like, teen language? 



No comments:

Post a Comment