Thursday, March 1, 2012

The True Message of Disney

So, I watched one of my many Disney movies the other day and found something interesting. Many of the movies teach us a valuable lesson, they show how to be true to yourself, and they let you experience different cultures and how they used to be many years ago. Now, before you think “my goodness she’s having some issues separating her childhood years from her teenage years” or “she needs to grow up”, just look at what they have to offer and you’ll realize that it doesn’t matter how old you are.

Before I get into talking about the movie I watched, I just wanted to say that although Disney movies are more or less aimed at children, I see now that I’m older, that when I was younger, I never caught on to the real messages of the movies. I was always so intrigued by the story and the characters, that I looked past them.

Take The Lion King for example. This movie teaches us that you cannot change the past, but you can make a change for the future by accepting the past, instead of avoiding it. Each Disney movie gives us something to follow and to learn.     

So the movie that I watched the other day was in fact, Mulan, and this was truly inspirational. I mean, she goes to fight in the army to take her father’s place even though it could result in devastation for impersonating a soldier and bringing dishonor to her family. But she did it out of love; and by going against society’s expectations of how a woman should act, she made a name for herself and showed that women are more powerful than what some men see them as.
 
As I continue to watch my old Disney movies, I seem to enjoy them just as much as when I was a kid. Go back to your years as a child and see it for yourself; what do you learn from them?           

No comments:

Post a Comment