Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Reality, False Reality, and Music


 
























As a person who lives with a sister that frequently watches reality TV shows, I can truthfully say that I have seen several shows myself. Of the many lame excuses of a show that reality TV networks come up with, such as scripted clips of excessively tanned wannabe teenagers who are actually 30 years old, there is one show that I truly enjoy watching; and that is American Idol. Yes, that’s right. I have to also mention that this show actually has talent and people with real dreams that inspire.

American Idol. Even though the season is over, sadly, there are certain performances that I will never forget. Jessica Sanchez was in fact my favourite contestant for season 11 and when you hear her beautiful voice, you have to stop and think about those other artists out there with no true talent.

Jump in my hooptie hooptie hoop
I own that
And I ain’t paying my rent this month
I owe that
But f** who you want, and f** who you like
That's our life, there’s no end in sight
Twinkle, twinkle little star

Now everybody let me hear you say ray ray ray
Now spend all your money cause today's pay day
And if you’re a G, you a G, G, G
My name is Onika, you can call me Nicki


This is exactly what I am talking about. This is just a portion of the ridiculous crap that the music industry puts out there. These lyrics are from Nicki Minaj’s Starships. Can someone please just tell me the how people can listen to artists who have to use fake, British accents and stutter meaningless words that clearly make no sense? How do we, as teenagers, fall into this repetitive work of what they call art? You can't possibly compare American Idol contestants to this type of 'singing'?

Even though some may think that ALL reality TV shows are incredibly fake and usually irritating, American Idol is surely not one of them. Just listen and see for yourself that these people on the show can bring real contribution to the music world, not people “discovered” by other artists who only use auto tune to make their music, um, “better”.

Oh, and stop watching those shows where bachelors toy with the emotions of the contestants; I’m going to have to tell the same to my sister back home.

Please just watch this instead!!









No comments:

Post a Comment